The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway • Gardens by the Bay

June 13, 2016



We were roaming around the ArtScience Museum for a good 3 to 4 hours, by the time we finished, we just weren’t as tired yet. The sun was still high up and we didn't want to waste our vacation lazing around the hotel the rest of the day, so we decided to head towards the nearest tourist spot in sight: Gardens by the Bay, which was just parallel to the museum. I say "in sight" because you wouldn’t really miss that gigantic faux tree landmarks; you could literally see it from a mile away. We weren't really sure how we would get there faster/easier, so we used the oldest mode of transportation known to man and walked our way there (which was probably a good 15-20 minute walk)

The Gardens showcase two separate, well, in a lack of a better term, gardens (which is separately priced): the Cloud Forest and the Floral Garden -- whose theme at the time was Tulips Mania. My mom is an avid plant lover so of course we had to visit both. 

CLOUD FOREST

We entered the Cloud Forest first, partly because we wanted to save the best for last (no offense to the Cloud Forest), and partly because we thought the Flower Garden would be more crowded. The enclosure showcases many different species of plants commonly seen in Southeast Asian rain forests. Given that they describe themselves to carry "plants commonly seen in Southeast Asia", I expected the enclosure to be more of a greenhouse-ish, highly humid, and warm environment like most of Southeast Asia, hence the sleeveless top, shorts, and open-toed sandals. But when that automatic, buttery door opened, the first wave of wind that hit me was at 18 degree Celsius! I was right about the humid part though, unfortunately, so think of it like being in a 6 story building-refrigerator. Good thing I came prepared and brought my ol' trusty red cardigan (which I brought by accident). Still, my legs were shivering the whole time I was inside 'cause I was pretty much exposed from the waist down.



It isn’t as educational as it could’ve been, you could barely see the names of the plants and some facts about them, although I think I did saw a sign that said there's an available mobile app that would guide you through the whole enclosure, I guess something like the one at the ArtScience museum, but you could see that no one was using -- or even plans to use it -- it since everyone was on their phone taking selfies. Anyway. I wasn't really that interested in names, but my mom was. Given the chance, I'm sure she would've had herself built the same enclosure at home. I just wanted to admire the plants and stop myself from picking the flowers like everyone else. There was a good hundred people in there with us, from all different races and ages -- well, maybe not infants, but you get the idea. I even saw a person in a wheelchair, so it's good to know that the facility is able to provide for people with disabilities. I think that you could request for a tour guide, I'm just not sure if it would cost anything. They also have this hanging bridge type of passage that goes around this small mountain in the middle of the whole enclosure so you could see the hanging plants up close. Oh! Did I mention that there was a mini waterfall inside? The first thing that welcomes you in this whole enclosure is this waterfall that runs from the third floor down. 

So, just to recap: 
Fully air conditioned, 18 degree Celsius, (approximately) 6 story building + 3 story waterfall
= a day in the world's largest vegetable aisle. 

My mom wanted to explore every part of it, so she wanted to climb the highest point and walk our way down the hanging bridge. For a second there, she forgot she was afraid of heights. When we got up at the highest level and this bridge was already in front of us, you could see a hint of hesitation (and some traces of regret) on her face as she was reminded of how far of a fall it would be should one of those cables holding the bridge snap. Needless to say, my mom, who, for the love of her life, would never cross anything like that, was persuaded by the power of love (for plants) and went through with it. Well, ONE floor of it. All the while down, she was squeezing my hands so tightly, I'm fortunate I could still type this blog post. 



It’s not every day you get to see plants of such variety in one place. I used to live in a provincial area so being surrounded by plants was nothing new to me, but the most variety I'd see are some mango trees, avocado trees, and other fruit/vegetable bearing plants. Nothing really "exotic". So when I saw one of those carnivorous pitcher-like plants, the ones that look like Victreebel from Pokemon, I wanted to squeeze it so much and, at the same time,  I was so tempted to put my finger inside its "mouth" to see whether it'd bite my hand or melt it or something. If I had a piece of paper, a pen, and tape with me, I would've doodled some eyes and teeth on that plant and turn it into a real life Pokemon.

 C'est la vie.

FLOWER GARDEN: TULIPS MANIA

After exploring the Cloud Garden and having our little test of courage with that hanging bridge, we went to the Floral Garden: Tulips Mania – which I was honestly more excited for. I mean, who doesn't want to see an enclosure of blooming flowers?


Just when I thought the refrigerator nightmare was over, the Flower Garden is just as equally -- if not, even more so -- cold. It's a good thing that these wide variety of tulips greet you at the entrance, as if telling you not to bear with the cold and be with them; "join us... join us... join us". If you thought there was only one kind of tulip, the iconic champagne-glass-shaped ones, then you're wrong. There were literally dozens of variety. Although the tulips were definitely the stars of the whole show, (the whole theme literally revolved around them), there were also other types of flowers: bells, roses, flowers that look like sunny-side-up eggs, cactus flowers, etc. It’s tempting not to pick one flower off. 


No one would notice if I'd pick one off, right?

No one would be bothered if ONE flower goes missing.

But if you think about it, if there’s anything that these artificial gardens teach us, it’s that these flowers take a lot of effort and extreme care to bloom as beautifully. 

“A thing is not beautiful because it lasts” and because it won’t last, it’s up to us to preserve and appreciate its beauty as long as we can, and share it with as much people as we can. 

By the time we finished our laps around the flowers, subconsciously deciding which flower was the prettiest, it was already night time. We decided to stick around a few more minutes and wait for the night light show at those faux tree thing that’s such a huge landmark (I don’t know what they’re called; forgive me). The lights dance to the tune of classical music and some pop music, that’s definitely one to capture in pictures. You’ll get entranced by the lights; some visitors were sitting on the floor (and it just rained a bit earlier too!), some were even lying, and others were synchronizingly swaying their heads and hips. As you watch over the lights, you’ll forget the pain from your aching feet as a result of kilometers of walking. Truly, nature is a hypnotic phenomena.


Talk to you next time!

it’s JACLYN

• • • 
PS: My dad gave me a Mi Band that syncs how many steps you’ve taken to your bracelet and your phone, so I thought I’d give it a go. From the time we left the hotel at Orchard Road to the time we were watching the light show, we took about 18,659 steps or walking around for roughly around 10.9 km! I needed to have a full day’s rest the following day; so much for "not lazing around the hotel for vacation".


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. That is an exquisite garden, and I will put it on my visit list for sure. Thanks for the tour. Monica

    ReplyDelete