Lights. Camera. Weee! • Universal Studios Singapore

May 23, 2016


I was in Singapore a couple of days back and OF COURSE visiting the Universal Studios theme park at Sentosa is at the top of my to-do list. The park opens at 10 am and since I have all this tourist-adrenaline pumping in my body, I was there at around 9:00. My family was there with me as we 
simultaneously get our Universal-Studios-cherries popped at the same time.
First thoughts upon entering the park: HOLLYWOOD STUDIO SETS.

Look, if I could be anything other than a business student (soon-to-be-graduate) of Accountancy, I would definitely want to be involved in the filming industry – and no, I’m not talking about being an actress or a big shot movie star. I want to be involved in production. Yes, a lot of the big successes of films attribute to how convincingly good actors[-resses] could pull off a character – you have to admit it takes real talent–, but for me, every time I watch a movie or a TV show, I would always get my breath taken away by how a certain scene is edited so seamlessly and how the camera pans the way it did and how studio sets could make you transport 50 years back in time in seemingly no effort. “Movie magic”, or whatever it is called, I had always wanted to be a part of it ever since I discovered how to edit photos and videos. To be greeted by this wide street surrounded by two-three story monocolored buildings, sparkling store windows, weathered benches, PO boxes, and street lamps, all the while as a different reality looms behind me, it gave this 20-year old’s heart satisfaction (and a little bit of frustration) to finally be able to stand in and experience how it would be like if I was in a studio set. And that’s just one of the several things I liked about the place! This is Universal Studios we’re talking about so you could expect that they have pulled through all the stops in building this theme park. Transport yourself from New York as you walk down Sesame Street, to Ancient Egypt where you’ll run for your life as you dodge the Mummy’s curse, to Jurassic Park where you’ll get serious nostalgia as you hear the Jurassic park theme song – you know the one I’m talking about, to Far Far Away (my personal favorite aesthetics-wise), and lastly, to Madagascar.

It’s summer and there are a lot of families having their vacations. Likewise, you could expect a lot of people from all over the world to be swarming in there as well; all of them equally enthusiastic. While this is all well and good, that means more waiting time for you in rides and in food courts. Now, a regular ticket for one adult SG$ 74 (children between 4 and 12: SG$54) if you buy it on site, but you could get an Express pass for an additional SG$30 (1 time participation per ride).  My brothers and I originally got regular tickets because we thought “waiting in line doesn’t seem so bad”, but when we got to the first ride, we had to wait 40 minutes.  We weren’t fazed, we stood in line for 40 minutes, and we got our 5 minutes of fun. In business school, it’s always taught to always look for the “cost-benefit” of things.
Here’s the situation:
Cost = 40 minutes of your time;
Benefit = 5 minutes of fun;
Additional info. to be considered = there are dozens of other rides waiting to be experienced (but probably with equally long lines)!
It was a no-brainer to get the Express passes in the end, and in my opinion, it made a lot of difference since we were able to do more things in our day. Look, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having to  wait in line for minutes because you have a “regular” ticket or it doesn’t bother me that people get to cut through it by getting an Express pass, and I understand why the management would charge a substantial premium to be able to have the latter. I mean, if everyone has the Express pass, then it loses its purpose, right? But if you’re like me who is either:
  1. A first timer at Universal Studios
  2. Doesn’t get to go back to the theme park easily
  3. Isn’t really planning on going back any time soon
  4. Would want to make the most out of the theme park
  5. Generally impatient and wouldn’t want to spend much time lining up
Then I advise you to spend the extra dollars on the Express passes. I guarantee it makes the whole experience a hundred times better.

Oh! and that ride I mentioned that had a 40 minute waiting line was Batttle Star Galactica. I think it’s the park’s flagship ride, given that it’s everywhere on brochures and sites, and I could see why. The attraction has 2 independent roller coaster rides that intertwine to make up one ensemble, choosing which side to fight for: Humans or Cyclons. Either way, I’m sure riding just one will leave you yearning for the other.  I rode the Humans first before the Cyclons. If you’ll ask me which is more terrifying, then I’d say the Humans because I could actually see the rails as I sat there. I would see before my eyes where the drops will be as you are led up in anticipation and where it would take its turns. I don’t know. I hear a lot of people saying the Cylons had more “kick” into it. It’s not that it didn’t live up to my expectations. Ride-wise, it was actually more thrilling – the riders are positioned up-right rather than seated, there are more twists and turns–, but there’s just something about seeing where you’re going with the Humans, the simple fact of “knowing”, and the fact that you can’t do anything about it – like being stuck in a nightmare.

Battle Star Galactica is just one of the dozens of state-of-the-art rides that Universal Studios offer. One of those I also enjoyed is the Transformers’ 3D ride that immerses you in the whole Transformers universe. I’ve been to other 3D rides before and those usually either lack realism or the visuals make you motion sick too much, but Universal’s take on this 3D ride is, by far, the best I’ve ridden. It’s a unique and modern take into how roller coasters are usually laid out (though it’s not really a roller coaster), putting riders in the point of view of an actual rider of an Autobot, like in the movie! I actually imagined myself to be Megan Fox the entire time I was riding. Though this ride may not be for everybody, especially those who get motion sick too easily, I’m sure this ride is also one to look after.

If ever you get tired of checking out rides and would want to have a short break, you can relax as you watch one of the many shows scattered all over the theme park. Universal Studios doesn’t just cater one ride after another, they also showcase many talents that would equally thrill visitors of all ages, maximizing your whole experience. Be ready to get wet in the Waterpark (located between Jurassic Park and Far Far Away) where you get to join Pirates on a quest to find the land in a world set in an apocalyptic future where global warming takes over and melts ice caps, sinking continents in oceans, forcing mankind to live in artificial floating settlements and fighting over the last signs of land. It’s more interesting than I make it sound, trust me. If the story line doesn’t hook you in, perhaps seeing death defying stunts would do the trick. The live action performance is filled with [fake] gun shots, explosions, diving jet skis (yes, it dove into the water), rugged leading men, and of course, a damsel in distress.  The ending stunt is sure to surprise and delight you. If you’re not into too much action, then head on towards the city square (located besides Transformers) where a dance group awaits. Not only will you be blown away by their sharp and fluid street dance moves, but you would also get a good laugh with their impromptu act. Whether you volunteered or merely watched by the sidelines, they do not fail to make everyone feel like a community in laughter. These are, of course, among other many different, yet equally great, performances.

Like I’ve mentioned earlier, I am a fan of the whole film production industry. Surprisingly, there is one “ride” (though it’s not really a ride; more of an attraction) that actually takes you through the whole movie making experience “as narrated by Steven Spielberg himself" *read in a deep commentator voice*”. So if you’re like me, or if you’re just a fan of movies in general, don’t miss the chance to go through it. It’s nothing scary or heart racing, but it was definitely the highlight of my day. I actually forgot its name but it’s in New York City, near Sesame Street.  It brings viewers in an actual set as you watch it being brought to life by pyro-matronics, falling ceilings, and heavy gusts of wind.

Anyway, I’ve been rambling on and on about how amazing my experience was. The best way for you to fully get an idea of what I’ve been rambling on about is by visiting yourself. If you are able to get to this point, I applaud your patience and thank you for reading my first full-fledged blog post *slow claps + standing ovation*. The people there were great, the staff was accommodating, the environment was really immersive and well maintained, the food may be a little pricey, but you didn’t really go there to dine, right? Though the entire theme park isn’t covered against the sun’s biting rays, you wouldn’t really mind the heat once you’re there. Besides, a light tan doesn’t hurt every once in a while.

Talk to you next time!
it’sJACLYN

PS: Not only is Universal Studios filled with amazing rides, attractions, and performances, it is also filled with landmarks that begs for a selfie. So if you’re planning on going, don’t forget to bring your cameras! Let me take a moment to boast some of my pictures and thank my martyr of a father that was neither ashamed nor complaining to have these shots taken. Enjoy!







SHOUT OUT TO THE BEST DAD IN THE WORLD FOR MAKING ALL OF THIS POSSIBLE.
 

You Might Also Like

0 comments